Monday 6 July 2009

Time of the season


Rochdale AFC 2 - 2 Exeter City FC

Journey:

This is game forty of Rochdale AFC’s 2008/09 season. Dale are sitting second in the table. There are just six games after this one to decide if this really is going to be Rochdale’s year.

That first game of the season away at Grimsby seems a whole lifetime away. Since then I have covered more miles than I care to mention, eaten more pies than I would care to admit and lived every moment of what has been a remarkable, emotional season for Dale. With just weeks to go now, can Rochdale cement a place in the automatic promotion spots or will it be the nerve jangling process of the play-off’s again?

What I do know is that since last August, while Dale have been fighting their way to the finishing line– the rest of the world has been happily going about it’s business.

It would appear that Lady Luck has grown up while my attention has been distracted. When I asked if she was coming to the football today – she said yes – but she would be watching the game with her boyfriend - could I drop her off at his house?

Just how long has this season been? I was pretty sure when we started the season that Lady Luck was playing with dollies and such (probably). Now I find she has a boyfriend! It could be a lot worse I suppose – he is a Rochdale fan at least – and the knowledge that his mum and dad would be there as well probably helped.

So with Lady Luck dropped off at young Mr. Simpson’s house. I set forth for Spotland. As I walked round to the main entrance I bumped into Playboy Dan. As is the way with Rochdale’s very own international man of mystery – he was in a hurry. He had managed to procure a ticket for today’s game for Mr. Turner and was on his way to meet him. It was a far cry from preventing evil genii from achieving world domination – but an important mission nonetheless.

I wandered into reception and queued up for my press pass. In all of my previous visits the lady behind the counter has treated me with polite indifference – today I got a cheery ‘hello’ and a smile. For the first time since I started doing match commentary, I didn’t feel like a complete chancer who would be unmasked at any moment. I was actually meant to be there.

With press pass in hand I wandered down the tunnel and joined Mr. Culshaw.

Weather:

There is an old joke about Rochdale. Well, there are quite a lot of old jokes about Rochdale – but very few of them are repeatable. The one I had in mind was: ‘If you don’t like the weather – hang around for an hour’. Today it was no joke…

Interludes of clear skies were punctuated by rain, sleet, snow and hail - ably accompanied by a swirling gale which had the wind turbines on Knowl Hill doing double time. You didn’t even have to wait the afore mentioned hour – 5-10 minutes was more than enough for the elements to throw up yet another surprise.

Food:

Pie free. Although I did have a decent stab at the buffet in the press room come half time.

Away Support:

Considering the distance involved – I went to Exeter, it is practically in France – the 3-400 Grecian fans who had made the journey north represented a great turn out. Lively throughout, with their own equivalent of the ‘Noisy Boys’ up at the back of the Wilbutts Lane stand leading the singing.

Action:

After the flurry of activity in the emergency transfer window which saw the arrival of Madine and Newey and the departure of McEvilly and Evans over the last few days – there isn’t any new news.

The news for today was television. Sky had a match commentary team at the game – sadly not Kris Kamara – which was a shame. Having ‘Kammy’ going berserk in the commentary area would have been a treat. I believe it was Dickie Davies - no not the bloke from World of Sport (if you are old enough to remember that). Mr. Davies was not the only one with a camera crew though – Mr. Culshaw and I had one to. Granted it wasn’t Sky (It was Hopwood Hall College’s AV department) – and they were really there to film Mr. Culshaw, not me. But I think it counts.
For most of the game I would have a young man poking one of those big, furry microphone things in my ear and asking me to get out of the shot. I wouldn’t mind, but I had done my hair and put a bit of slap on - disappointing.

In team news, Stanton would return to centre half in place of Ramsden, Daganall would replace LeFondre upfront, St. Adam would start from the bench having collected a knock at Chesterfield. Buckley, having shaken off the worst effects of tonsilitis, would return to the starting line up. By way of a change, Dale would line up 4-3-3 for today.

After what had been a pretty wretched evening at Chesterfield during the week and considering that Exeter are snapping at Dale's heels in pursuit of promotion - a significant improvement was required. I'm still not exactly sure what happened down at Saltergate other than to say that Chesterfield were very good - and Dale weren't.

The good news was that from the moment that Mr. Bates got things underway it was clear that Dale were ready to make amends. The team which had been made to look distinctly ordinary on Wednesday started much the brighter and had the Exeter defence scampering from the opening moments.

However, Dale weren't getting things all their own way. Our referee for today, Mr. Bates, seemed to have some kind of problem with Lee Thorpe. Let me explain...

Thorpe goes up for a header, his marker has both hands full of Thorpe's shirt and is manfully hauling him back earthward. Whistle. Freekick. For Rochdale? No. For Exeter.

Thorpe goes up for a header, his marker has Thorpe in a headlock. Whistle. Freekick. For Rochdale? No. For Exeter.

Thorpe goes up for a header, his marker climbs over him leaving Thorpe bent double. Whistle. Freekick. For Rochdale? No. For Exeter.

Had one of the Exeter defender's smacked Thorpe about the face with an oversize fish, shoved dynamite in his shorts and then blow him up with an oversize 'Acme' detonator or dropped a huge anvil on him - I suspect I could have predicted Mr. Bates decision.

From one such decision, Exeter produced the first real chance of the half. A thunderous freekick from Moxey had the goal frame vibrating and only some quick thinking from Tom Kennedy ensured that The Grecians could not capitalise on the loose ball.

Around 25 minutes Dale had a freekick of their own, delivered by Kennedy, it forced a fine save from Jones in the Exeter goal. Mark Jones delivered a deep ball from the resulting corner, McArdle headed the ball back into the six yard box - evading Dale and Exeter alike on its journey - until it met the stooping head of Lee Thorpe less than a yard from the goal line. 1-0 Dale!


Dale played out the half quite comfortably, Exeter seemed happy enough to let them.

So, half time again. As I elbowed my way towards the buffet in the press room - things seemed to be going rather nicely. The only slight concern I had was the whereabouts of Mr. Keane. I hadn't seen him in the Sandy in the first half and I hadn't had my usual update on the progress of the Mighty Yellow's or his ruminations on the first half via text. Quite troubling.


On the other hand, I was very well aware of Mr. Turner's presence due to his texted opinions from somewhere in the Pearl Street stand on the subject of my dress sense. In my defence and considering the weather - a duffle coat, which probably did make me look a bit like Paddington Bear, seemed a prudent choice.

After a bit of a delay, Dale finally emerged from the dressing room and the second half got underway. Once again Rochdale started the better of the sides. An uncharacteristically buccaneering run from Stanton almost allowed Thorpe in for his second - unfortunately Thorpe could only drive it wide of the post.

Minutes later, Exeter launched their first serious attack of the half. A cross from the left found Marcus Stewart - or more precisely - found Marcus Stewart's arm. The Rochdale defence broke stride and appealed vigorously to Mr. Bates - Mr. Bates did not share their conviction. As the Dale defence appealed in vain, Stewart scored. 1-1.

Having found their way back into the game, the Grecians set about taking the game to Rochdale. The next 25 minutes were pretty much all Exeter. Some breathless Dale defending and some poor finishing was all that stood between the men of Devon taking the lead.

The impetous eventually drained out of the Exeter assault and a stalemate developed. Around 80 minutes I remarked to Mr. Culshaw that both sides seemed happy with a draw. As he mentally digested that pearl of wisdom I turned my head to see St. Adam bearing down on the Exeter goal. With only the keeper to beat - this was Dale's best opportunity of the second half. At which point the Exeter centre half, Troy Archibald-Henville (I gather he has no contact with his parents these days), made a clumsy attempt to disposses him. Penalty!

Puzzlingly Archibald-Henville wasn't sent from the field - which as he was the last man you might expect - Still, a penalty so late in the game should tie things up nicely - LeFondre won't miss - 3 points - job done.

Well - LeFondre did miss. His effort was driven straight at Jones - however, the rebound was fortuitous and second time around St. Adam buried it. 2-1 Dale!

I had very nearly 60 seconds to bask in the glow of Dale's lead...

From the restart Exeter drove forward. Stuart Fleetwood drove into the Dale area - and then for reasons which only Nathan Stanton can probably explain - he made an ugly lunge at the Exeter man. Penalty.

Stanton did recieve a yellow card - and having now collected ten for the season will miss the next two games. Fielding ran through his repetoire of wobbly legs etc. Marcus Stewart wasn't impressed or distracted. 2-2.

In the dying seconds a header from McAllister looked as though it had secured all three points for the Grecians - but it clipped the bar and flew out of play. 2-2 it remained.

Summary:

A few times this season I have spoken in harsh terms of the match officials. Somehow I just can't summon up the enthusiasm for another tirade. Mr. Bates was pretty poor - but in a slightly comic way. My sides were aching by the end of the game.

Did Rochdale deserve to win the game? On balance, probably not - a draw was a fair reflection of both team's performances. But...

For 60 seconds Dale were in the lead - with only minutes left on the clock. An unconvincing win it may have been - but any Rochdale fan would have taken it.

Mr. Bates may have given the penalty - which was one of a small number of things he did get right this afternoon - but he didn't make Stanton flatten Fleetwood in the area.

As Bury won this afternoon, they leapfrog Dale into 2nd place - Dale drop down to 3rd.

Turner Watch:

Mr. Turner will be writing for the Times fashion supplement from June. Don't miss it.

28/03/09

No comments:

Post a Comment