Monday 6 July 2009

Radio Times


Rochdale AFC 1 - 1 Macclesfield Town FC

Journey:

I don't live far from Spotland. A five minute car ride. No more than that.

Odd then that this journey begins on Friday afternoon - with a text message from Mr. Turner:

'I am commentating on the Dale game tomorrow!'.

Surely a gag, surely. A few more frantic text's unearthed the stark facts of the matter. It was not a gag. It was real. Mr. Turner's manly baritone would be romancing the ears of the gentle towns folk of Rochdale come 3pm today. Well, assuming they were somewhere in Rochdale Infirmary that is.

Naturally, I wished him every success - well - that may not have been what I actually texted back to him - but I was thinking it - and that surely counts for something, surely. In truth I was as green as the Spotland playing surface. Jammy beggar.


This morning I dropped him a text with some helpful advice: don't swear, don't scream into the microphone if Dale score and under no circumstances make crank calls on-air to any of the cast of Fawlty Towers. Good advice I'm sure you will agree.

...and then I got the text reply I had been praying for:

'I will try and get u in the press box if u want?'

Suffice is to say that the staff at PC World, Oldham were a little taken aback as I performed an impromptu lap of honour around the office furniture display.

A few more texts to seal the deal and I was sat outside Mr. Turner's home waiting to take him to the game. This was a real first. I have never had a media personality in my car before. If I was honest, I had been hoping for Kelly Brook - but she can't get me in the press box at Spotland - so bad luck Kelly.

A swift pint or two in the Studd's Bar, a visit from Playboy Dan plus Playboy snr. and Playboy jnr., a chat with Mr. Turner's co-presenter Mr. Culshaw, a guest appearance from Spotland's award winning match compare Mr. Sweetmore and I was on my way to my seat.

All rather exciting really.

Weather:

Sunny but cool.

Food:

My rubbing shoulders with the great and good left no time for food before the game. I did venture forth at half time - but more of that later.

Away Support:

2-300. Considering that this is pretty much a local derby for Macclesfield, slightly disappointing. However, they compenstated for slender numbers with volume. They sang and cheered like lunatics pretty much throughout the game.

I can only imagine that they take their lead from club manager Keith Alexander who spent the whole game screaming and gesticulating - the fourth official appeared to be wearing ear defenders during the second half.

Action:

So, I had my half term break. During which time Dale exited the Johnstones Paint Tin and earned a replay against Barnet in the Football Association Challenge Trophy following a 1-1 draw at Underhill. It made a pleasant change to take in these events from the comfort of my sofa - however, today marked a return to the real business of league football.

Before the onset of cup football Dale had racked up four consecutive wins and catapulted themselves into sixth place - scoring thirteen goals in the process. Could Rochdale make it five wins out of five today?

Lets join our match commentary team of Mr. Culshaw and Mr. Turner at pitchside and find out...
A slow start. Macc had clearly set themselves up to defend - and defend they did. Rochdale poked and prodded but got little change from a resolute Macclesfield defensive unit.

Lee Thorpe found himself largely marked out of the game by as many as three Macc defenders - and with Dale's primary target man effectively handcuffed - Dagnall was doing little better than picking up scraps.

The Silkmen's strategy seemed to hinge on two men. Nat Brown and Simon Yeo.

Nat Brown - a giant of a man - began the game in central midfield but as events unfolded it became clear that he would also fill in in defence and as required join the strikers. His main contribution in the first period was to disrupt Jones and Toner - which he did very effectively.

With Dale's strike force disabled and the central midfield in turmoil, Simon Yeo's role would be to use his still appreciable pace to harry the Dale defence - and harry he did.

On the half hour Dale won a freekick inside the Macc area for an ill judged back pass to the keeper but to no effect. Moments later Kennedy saw his deflected free-kick saved in dramtic style.

Aside of that - a pretty unispiring 45 minutes of football. As Mr. Salisbury indicated the interval, 0-0 it remained.

Unfortunately my plans for getting into the press-box proper were sadly thwarted. Real press people were occupying the seats - so accomodation for hangers-on was not available. Therefore I was accomodated directly in front of the press area - Mr. Culshaw and Mr. Turner immediately behind me, my shoulder to the tunnel wall, right behind the dug-outs. Not at all bad really.

However, there was a draw back...

At half time when Mr. Turner and his journalist friends disappeared for Pimm's and cucumber sandwiches - I had to make my own arrangements. A fifteen minute wait in the pie queue beckoned - and when I finally got to the counter - no Meat and Potato. Scandalous.

Before and during the first half I had received a number of text messages from Mr. Keane - wishing Mr. Turner good luck - or words broadly to that effect. I was slightly alarmed by the message which suggested that he and Mr. Mitchell were performing show tunes in the Sandy - but to each their own I guess.

Incidentally, for those of you who are keeping up with the progress of the mighty Littleborough Yellows - sadly their run of form ended today with a 4-2 defeat at the hands of Chadderton Juniors.

Second half. It seemed that some re-planning had gone on in the Dale dressing room while I was waiting for a pie. The disjointed performance of the first period was gone - Macc's defensive strategy unpicked - Rochdale drove forward. Efforts from Thorpe, Toner, Thompson and Dagnall all went close - Thompson rattling the woodwork - and then on 66 the breakthrough came. A Kennedy corner, flicked on by Dagnall and smuggled home by Rundle from point blank range. 1-0 Dale.

With Wiseman re-capturing the style we saw at Darlington in the play-off's and Rundle's trade mark twists and turns - Dale had real width and looked much the greater threat. However, a second goal did not come and in spite of being a goal behind Macc had very far from given up.
On 81, the Silkmen got their reward. Edgy Rochdale defending had failed to clear the ball which fell to Izak Reed who delivered a fizzing cross. Nat Brown - who else - found himself in acres of space and headed the ball past a defenceless Russell. 1-1.

Dale rallied, but an effort from Thorpe - saved by the Macc keeper, Brain proved to be the only significant chance.

Summary:

A draw. Judging by the grumblings from some sections of the crowd - not that satisfactory. But, I guess it is a measure of Rochdale's recent form that anything other than a win is regarded as a failure.

Macclesfield had clearly done their homework and proved to be very stubborn opponents. On balance I think a draw represented a fair result although Dale did produce more than enough chances to win the game comfortably.

With the point from todays game, Rochdale move up to 4th and extend their unbeaten run to seven games. Not much to grumble about there.

Turner Watch:

The boy done good.

Thanks to Mr. Turner's kind invitation I am now on the list to have a crack at commentating myself at some point. Clearly I have a lot to live up to following Mr. Turners performance today - Motson-esque from the bits I overheard - but I will give it my best shot. Rochdale Infirmary beware.


15/11/08

No comments:

Post a Comment