Monday 6 July 2009

Something Evil this way comes


Rochdale AFC 2 - 1 Shrewsbury Town FC

Journey:

Like most people, I spent yesterday stuffing myself with food to the point where I could no longer stand. Therefore it was a welcome relief to get out of the house today. Fresh air, a bit of exercise and a good distance between me and the nearest available turkey based treat. Plus it would provide an opportunity to test drive my Christmas jumper - natuarlly I would be wearing a coat - so serious humilliation would be averted.

I had already received word that Mr. Keane (terminal man-flu) and Mr. Turner (distracted by a family size tin of Cadbury's Roses) would not be coming to the game today. Chances were that I was going to be on my own. No matter. I'm kind of getting used to it now.

The trip to Spotland was notable for one thing: queues. The queue of traffic stretching all the way down Roch Valley Way promised a decent crowd. The queues at every turnstile I passed on my way to the Sandy ensured it.

Just as the players were concluding their warm-up I arrived at my regular vantage point. It did indeed appear that I would be alone. My last hope for company had been Mr. Mitchell and even he wasn't there. As the moments ticked away before kick off I resigned myself to spending the game listening to Staedler and Waldorf - who despite the fact that the game had not actually begun were already moaning.

But surely this is the season of good will, the season of miracles?

Having closed my eyes and clenched my jaw for the fifth or sixth time as I listened to Staedler and Waldorf drone on and on - I opened them again to find that Mr. Mitchell had appeared next to me.

I do believe in Father Christmas. I really do.


Weather:

Shimmering blue skies, bright sunshine glinting of the blades of the wind turbines on Knowl Hill and a strong breeze with more than just a hint of the north pole about it.

Food:

In the previous 24 hours I suspect that I had actually consumed my own not inconsiderable body weight. So I wasn't that hungary anyway. That said, even if I had been feeling peckish I would have probably been thwarted. The queue at the Sandy Lane Patisserie was never shorter than ten people long throughout the game. The only reason the queue eventually diminished was because the food ran out.

Away Support:

700 or more. An excellent showing considering the distance. Not bad singers - but Shrewsbury is pretty close to Wales - so I guess it is to be expected. Spent most of the game locked in a 'who are ya?!' contest with the inhabitants of the Pearl Street stand. I think it ended in a draw.

Action:

Today would be a stern test. Shrewsbury had spent big in the summer to assemble a team which had been habitually running up cricket scores throughout the season - but there is of course another dimension to todays contest. The ghosts of Christmases past.

The Shrews big summer splurge had seen them pip Dale for the signature of Grant Holt. Mr. Holt would be making his first return to Spotland today since leaving Rochdale in 2006 to join Nottingham Forrest. The 34 league goals he scored during his time at Dale mean he will always have a special place in the memories of Rochdale fans. His decision to shun a return to the Spotland playing staff in favour of a move to cash rich Shrewsbury would guarantee a mixed reception.

... and of course there is Mr. Simpson.

Shrewsbury's manager, Paul Simpson had been a fantastic player for Rochdale during the 2001-2 season. In 2002-3 he would go on to be one of the worst managers Rochdale has ever had. That season goes down in my memory as just about the most depressing year of football I have ever watched. I am fully mindful that Dale made it to the fifth round of the FA Cup that year (I went to Preston and Wolverhampton) - on the other hand, they only managed to crawl clear of the relegation zone in the closing weeks of the season. If you had wondered why I don't relish cup football - now you know.

So to today. Jones continuing injury problems mean he would not be taking part. Stanton would return to central defence. In spite of rumours of a bout of flu, Kennedy would take his place at left full-back. Buckley's absence from the starting line-up and bench provoked a good deal of speculation amongst the knowledgeable Sandy faithful. He has been linked with possible moves to a number of big name clubs. The concensus being that he will have gone to patures new in a matter of days.

The first half was in truth something of a none event. Scrappy, niggly and with shots on goal in pretty short supply. Shrewsbury probably had slightly the better of things. Rochdale held their own without generating any serious threat. As half time descended honours were very firmly even.

Mr. Golden Gamble worked his magic on the 4000+ holiday crowd - although when it came round to volunteers for the cross bar challenge - the pattern from early in the season held good and no-one offered to come onto the pitch and take part. With little else to divert us, Mr. Mitchell and I turned our thoughts to Jon Shaw. Just what do we make of our big summer signing? He had scored a good goal against Barnet in the second game of the season - and since then, well, not much. Granted he has suffered more than his share of injuries and with Dagnall, Thorpe and LeFondre all scoring his opportunities have been limited - in all competitions he has started just six games and joined from the bench three times.

The Verdict? Mr. Mitchell feels he is out of his depth and that we have probably seen all that there is to see. I think he is a decent player - you don't score twenty goals in the Conference by fluke alone. I suspect he needs more time and more games to settle in. The thing is - with Thorpe, LeFondre, Dagnall and now McEvilly on the books - will he get the chance?

Dale started the second period far more positively than in the first half. However, the early pressure from Rochdale yeilded nothing and then the ghost of Christmas past made his presence felt. On 59 minutes Grant Holt decided to remind everyone why Rochdale wanted him back. A cheeky flick over McArdle's head and a hammer blow of a volley defeated Russell. 1-0 Shrewsbury.

But Shrewsbury weren't the only ones with a ghost of Christmas past - and Rochdale's is EVIL!
Lee McEvilly had slipped onto the pitch just moments before Holt's spectacular opener replacing Shaw. Minutes later he would level things up for Rochdale.

The performance of todays match official had been slightly indifferent however his decision to award a free kick after St. Adam had been dragged earthwards in the area provoked wall of vocal criticism from the Sandy. We need not have worried. McEvilly set himself up for the freekick. Shrewsbury set their wall. McEvilly trundled forwards. The wall jumped to meet the impending thunderbolt. McEvilly side-footed it beneath their leaping feet, past the motionless keeper and into the back of the net. Evil. 1-1.

With the tie level and 3000+ Rochdale voices chanting 'Evil's gonna get ya!', Shrewsbury suddenly looked a very ordinary side indeed. Sustained pressure from Dale finally paid off on 83 when Keltie's corner was headed goalwards by Dagnall, a Shrews foot hacked the ball off the line - and straight into the on-rushing McEvilly's knee. Daniels in the Shrewsbury goal was once again left powerless. 2-1.

The game played out with Dale passing the ball around at will to joyful chants of 'OLE!'.

Merry Christams everyone.

Summary:

Gritty rather than elegant - a hard won and worthy three points. I have reflected that Rochdale have been missing something recently - since Jones enforced absence it has felt like the appetite to win has dwindled. The Evil one was having none of that today. From the moment he joined the game he put Shrewsbury under pressure - defenders who had more than the measure of Shaw suddenly found them selves marking six feet of barely controlled fury. I almost pitied them.

Turner Watch:

Full of Christmas spirit - and Roses.


26/12/08

No comments:

Post a Comment